The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre is now accepting applications for the online Postgraduate Diploma in TB-HIV Management. This is a two-year programme including comprehensive and practical content, developed by a team of leading global infectious disease experts. This qualification is comprised of five individual courses which are completed online and from the comfort of your own home. Students can enrol for the entire diploma, or simply take the individual courses they need. Interested applicants can email: Melissa.May@hiv-research.org.za for more information. Closing date: 7 January 2018.
To academic, research and other staff in the Faculty of Health Sciences:
I am writing to request the following:
- We are looking for a short-term administrative or other ad hoc job for an MBChB student who is completing the requirements for the degree soon and will be available to work from October until mid-December. An administrative job at p/c 6 (senior secretary) level starts at about R65 per hour. If you may or will have anything between October and mid-December, please contact Brenda.Klingenberg@uct.ac.za, tel 021 406 6650. (It need not be only one job for the full duration – it may be a combination of ad hoc jobs in different areas over the period.)
- Beyond the specific request above, if at any future time you have a short- or medium-term ad hoc job, possibly flexi-time, for an undergraduate or postgraduate student, please
- If you are seeking an undergraduate student – send details to Jason.Stoffberg@uct.ac.za (tel 021 406 6559); and
- If you are seeking a postgraduate student – send details to Adri.Winckler@uct.ac.za (tel 021 406 6327).
Please feel free to contact me in the above regard.
Faculty Manager: Academic Administration
Tel 021 406 6650
Applications close 31 October 2017.
The University, through the Organisational Health and Wellness office in the Human Resources Department, offers support for its staff members through access to a toll-free telephonic counselling service. As an employee benefit, the University offers the employee and their immediate family (spouse and minor children) members access to a short term counselling service through either the onsite counsellor, or via ICAS (Independent Counselling and Advisory Service), which is the outside service provider offering up to four sessions per household per year.
UCT's toll-free number is:
0801 113 945 and employees can also send a USSD code *134*905# for ICAS to call them back.
Please see the attached detail on how to access the service and how the service works.
Other support available through the Organisational Health section of HR at this time:
- a once off Emotional Impact session that can be arranged for groups with ICAS (external service provider) maximum 15 per group
- a Group Trauma Debriefing, or Emotional Impact session that can be facilitated by Org Health – maximum 15 per group
For any queries in this regard you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org (ext 5685)
Ms Naeema Brey
Client Services Manager| HR Client Services
Room 2.01 | Barnard Fuller Building
Human Resources | University of Cape Town | www.hr.uct.ac.za
+27 21 406 6624
The PG Diploma is designed to equip child health clinicians to function more effectively at the intersection between child health and clinical care.
Given the challenging academic timetable for the remainder of 2016, a number of departments may be considering using blended learning (a mixture of online and face-to-face approaches) to complete the teaching programme.
CILT has created a support and resource guide for UCT lecturers for online teaching, which you can read here:
This may also be of interest to tutors and other staff involved in supporting the teaching and learning process.
CILT has also set up a daily hotseat next week for walk-in advice for educators with any questions about online learning approaches and tools (tutors are also welcome). The hotseat will be:
UCSLC Teaching Lab (Level 4, Steve Biko Building): 12pm - 2pm, Mon 17 - Fri 21 Oct.
These sessions will focus on teaching and learning strategies for online teaching (including assessment) and technical help for Vula, Adobe Connect, and recording lectures. We are also happy to arrange sessions on other UCT campuses on request (depending on demand and venue availability).
The Vula helpdesk can be reached at email@example.com, or 021 650 5500.
Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator,
Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT)
University of Cape Town
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290
Please take note of the following Campus safety precautions:
- All staff and students to wear shoes that are closed and have suitable tread on the soles to prevent slipping and falling.
- All staff and students who do have a medical aid to carry their cards with them at all times in the case of an accident/emergency.
- All staff/students making use of stairs to ensure they hold on to the handrails if available. If no handrail is present, to ascend/descend stairs carefully and walk close to a supporting wall.
- No member of staff/student is to walk up or down an embankment as these areas are slippery when wet and could cause people to slip and fall resulting in injury.
UCT Faculty of Health Sciences
Health and Safety Manager
Barnard Fuller Building
Anzio Road, Observatory
Tel: +27 (0) 21 650 1086
Cell: 082 520 9070