Psychiatry & Mental Health
Psychiatry & Mental Health
UCT aims to be a world-class African institution, and in line with that vision our Department aims to be a leading Department of academic excellence that produces transformative and integrative teaching, research, healthcare and public service relevant to mental illness and well-being in local, African and global contexts. Visit the Psychiatry & Mental Health website.
Get in Touch
- If you are a doctor thinking about postgraduate training in Psychiatry.
- if you are interested in collaborating in our research programs.
- if you would like to contribute to improving our mental health services.
The Department aims to integrate teaching, research, and clinical services. This integrated approach takes place across the different divisions of the Department, which comprise:
- Addiction Psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Liaison Psychiatry
- Forensic Mental Health
- Intellectual Disability Psychiatry
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry
- Public Mental Health
Members of our Department are on joint appointment with the Western Cape Government Health, and provide clinical services at Groote Schuur Hospital, Valkenberg Hospital, Lentegeur Hospital, Red Cross Children's War Memorial Hospital, and Alexandra Hospital. In line with the vision of the Faculty of Health Sciences and the Western Cape Government, we are committed to a primary care approach in each of our divisions/focus areas. We provide assertive outreach and supportive services to Step-Down Facilities, District Hospitals and Community Health Clinics in the West Metro area, and beyond.
Teaching in the Department includes extensive participation in the education of undergraduates studying medicine and allied professions (including occupational therapy, physiotherapy), postgraduate training in psychiatry, and sub-specialty training.
The Department is also an HPCSA registered site for the training of intern clinical psychologists and provides training for maters students. Sub-speciality training occurs in each of the Divisions, with:
- an M Phil in Addiction Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Consultation-Liasion Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, Intellectual Disability Psychiatry, Neuropsychiatry, and Public Mental Health
- a PGDip in Addiction Care, and in Psychotherapy
- a Clinical Research Fellowship in Psychosis
We also offer:
- an M Med (Psychiatry) (by coursework and dissertation)
- an MSc Med (Neuroscience) (by dissertation, with coursework as needed)
- a PhD in Psychiatry and Mental Health (by dissertation)
- Brain-Behavior Initiative Post-Doctoral Fellowships
The Department collaborates broadly on providing clinical services, teaching, research and advocacy in the
- city (eg UCT's signature theme, the Brain-Behaviour Initiative, the Adolescent Health Research Unit, the Lentegeur Green Project, and the Perinatal Mental Health Project (PMHP))
- the country (eg UCT/Stellenbosch University's MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders)
- and the continent (eg the Department is home to UCT/Stellenbosch University's Alan J. Flisher Centre for Public Mental Health)