The UCT Surgical Society is a student and faculty-driven society of the University of Cape Town affiliated with the Department of Surgery at Groote Schuur Hospital. It was established in April 2006 by a group of UCT medical students in collaboration with Professor Del Khan (Head of: Surgery, General Surgery and Transplantation at Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town Academic Complex), the Society's Official Patron and has grown to become one of the largest societies at UCT, currently with over 690 registered members.
The core objectives of the society are:
- To expose students and healthcare professionals to the latest surgical innovations available locally and internationally
- To provide a collaborative platform between private and academic health care professionals
- To promote and foster a culture of medical and surgical research among students
- To promote surgical education among students
- To provide information about a career in surgery
- To form working relationships with other surgical societies both locally and internationally.
The UCT Surgical society is governed by an executive committee and the official society patron, Professor Del Kahn (Head of: Surgery, General Surgery and Transplantation at Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town Academic Complex).